shan

shan

Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Few Words

You know those commercials where the kid knocks over something and mom is all sweet and smiling and cleans it up with a Brawny paper towel or something? Yeah those. We'll that's not me! I'm that mom that is all snarling, and growling and junk. In fact, if they made a commercial about what happens when one of my kids is in timeout, escapes, and spills a red drink all over the counters and floor, I'd probably be investigated by social services. Despite myself, impatience and all, I've been doing my mommy job the best I know how. It seems my "know how" often falls a bit short. My biggest problem, my mouth! I really trying to change that. Words are powerful, and I'm very sarcastic, VERY sarcastic. Sarcasm is often condescending.  It can communicate thoughts, and ideas that I and do not believe, and wouldn't dream of verbalizing. It might send the message that my kids are inferior, or not intelligent, and worst.
Most parents are wildly protective of their kids. If our children are overtly offended, we'd fight to the death to protect them. Yet we use our words often to send them subtle, and destructive messages. I believe this is the design of our enemy, Satan. He uses their love for us, and our brokenness as humans to communicate lies to our children via our words, and actions. It's not a direct attack by him, it's an inadvertent attack through us. It is more damaging, and I believe it to be among the more hurtful things we can do to them. 
There are no perfect parents. I'm not trying to be overly critical of myself or anyone else, just wise with the words I use to my kids. Whether it be a criticism, or sarcasm, the end result should not be a defeated child. Our words should serve. They should edify. I've been challenged this week to use mine wisely. I just thought I'd share what I'm learning with you. I know this won't be easy, in fact that's what I said when I began having this conversation with myself. This is the verse that came to me:
 Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!