shan

shan

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My Mommy Job

If parenting were a hired position, I'm pretty sure I'd be unqualified. I've tried to imagine what my resume might say prior to motherhood. Blank. Not even a master author could make me sound suitable for hire on paper. Ha! I'd need a magician not a writer. Most days I vacillate between fair, and functioning. All is not lost though, in some regards I was fully equipped.  It takes a certain level of ignorance to become a parent. I came fully stocked. If we truly understood the reality of the work, most of us won't sign up for the rigors of pregnancy, much less parenting. At the very least we'd have second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth and more thoughts. You get the idea. But then along comes a day that reminds you, "there is no better job on earth." Yesterday was such a day. My one year old turned two. It took will, but in the battle between the monotony of chores, and trying to make the day special, the latter prevailed. The whole family just stopped and relished the antics of a two year old. From the best seat in the house, my house, I was able to relax an enjoy a show I hope God burns in my memory. There was singing, dancing and the of a devouring a delicious meal that ended with cake and ice cream.

I'm so grateful for days like yesterday, for happy healthy children that causes me to pause and find the wildest kind of joy in the simplest sort of things. I'm grateful that I now know all 57 verses of "The Wheels on The Bus Song." I'm thankful for the reminder that ice cream is always better when licked, NOT eaten with a spoon. I thank God for a position that only He could qualify me for me for. He is the author of the best and first "immersion program" the family.  I hope you are counting all your blessings today. I'll be thinking of two of mine in particular. One of whom just happens to be 2.

3 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwww, happy b-day Ellie! Love the pics, boy she got down on that cake. I never remember b-days, sometime I forget my own but if I had remembered I would have said happy B day to her. Good post Shan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated bday Elle.....you're so cuteeee...I just want to pinch those chubby cheeks...boy does that cake looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!