shan

shan

Thursday, March 6, 2014

God won't Give You...

There is this quote floating around out there, "God will never give you more than you can handle." OK, just for clarity that statement is nowhere in the Bible. I think it sounds good, so people keep repeating it. Kinda like the "cleanliness is next to godliness" thing. God does tell us that He won't let us be tempted beyond what we can bear, but that's not the same thing. I think He gives us a lot more than we can handle. He then helps us "handle it." He's pretty clear that we are "more than conquerors" in Him, and that we can do all things through Him. Not a debate, just my thoughts. That's not even the point of this post.

Yesterday someone told me that they were out working in the yard one morning after working an "all nighter." The neighbor saw it, and knowing their schedule expressed concern over the fact that the person should be resting not working. The individual explained to the neighbor that the work needed to be done. No one else had the responsibility of the work. The person tried to ease the neighbor's concern by offering "God won't give me more than I can handle right?" 
The neighbor's response: "Don't handle more than God gives you." It cracked me up! I appreciate a quick thinker, and a witty response, but I couldn't help but acknowledge the raw truth in the comment. How many things do we do by our own will/volition/choices then blame God? Too many.  Essentially we "bite off more than we can chew" then claim "God doesn't give..." I for one needed to be reminded to be smart about the things I busy myself with. 

If you'd like to look that verse up, it's 1 Corinthians 10:13. Ask yourselves how does that quote square with Romans 8:37. I think I just gave you guys homework. Blame it on Homeschooling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!