shan

shan

Monday, January 20, 2014

This Family Brought to You by...

Today was Martin Luther King Jr, Day. It's not a day I've celebrated before. I'm almost ashamed to admit that until today, it has been right up there with President's Day and Labor Day. Mentally acknowledged, but never truly reflected on or celebrated. That all changed today. Today I was struck by an incredibly obvious and profound thought. My family is a thriving product of the civil rights movement. Less than fifty years ago, my family(interracial families) would have been illegal in my state and in many others. This single thought radically changed the meaning of today. With it came an enormous sense of gratitude. It was the fight in people like Dr Martin Luther King Jr, Richard and Mildred Loving, and others that made my marriage not only possible, but legal.  Today, for the first time I celebrated Martin Luther King Jr, Day. My family is a visual representation of the power and possibilities of the civil rights movement, and I'm deeply grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!