shan

shan

Saturday, February 15, 2014


I Know Spring is on the Way When...

Sometime in January the sun begins to set around the 6 pm mark. By the end of February that time is rolled back even further. In fact last night, the last traces of daylight left the sky around 6:30. I was watching. Every year I find myself watching and waiting for this. The anticipation of longer evenings and warmer temperatures is downright invigorating. With each day that passes I imagine winter releasing its icy cold grip. The slow march toward longer evenings, more sunlight brings me hope, happiness even.

I've noticed something else the nearing of spring brings, the need to redecorate. I'm not even kidding! In the last few years, every spring I find myself wanting to makeover my house. I pour over projects and design ideas. I once thought people who spring cleaned, aren't cleaning often enough. And people who have spring projects are probably not doing enough year round. I guess I'm among them now. For the record, I was wrong. And I'm not saying that because I now find myself doing the same things. I just get it now.

The latest project fixation? Our family room. We live in a house built in an era when wood paneling was all the rage. Our family room is a monument to that fact. Initially when we purchased the home, I thought I'd go in, take down all the paneling and move on. I quickly discovered the error on my thinking. The paneling in this house is not the cheap, thin stuff. It is solid, honest to the core, around three quarters of an inch thick wood. To tear it all out and toss it is wasteful. To paint it almost seems criminal. Just when I thought I stumbled up on the solution of pickle finishing, enter my husbands opinion: "I'm not a fan of that." How could you not be a fan of this? I know him well. Ultimately, he doesn't care about my decorating choices, but the idea that he doesn't love it makes me hesitant to proceed. So here I sit. Again. What to do with my paneled room? Such a pressing and time sensitive problem you know? I just had to blog about it :)

Actually I do have an idea. But because I don't want to write a book. I'll tell you more about it next time. Meanwhile a few pics of my panel pain.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!