shan

shan

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Small Sin

I recently had a conversation with a friend regarding weight. Among women, it's bound to come up at some point. I am not overweight. Mostly, because I guard against it. But during our conversation she reminded me of the times my issues with food was dismissed or assumed non-existent because I don't fit the profile. I'm not fat. That memory triggered the following rant. 

I definitely try to stay on top of my weight, but the sin of gluttony isn't a pound issue. And though it's harder to see on smaller people, unfortunately in my case, it is still there. 
It dawned on me a while back that if a skinny person says they are a glutton most of what they'd hear from believers and non believers alike is, "you're not fat. You're in shape." 
It's as though we can't see beyond the flesh. We are so committed to judging based on appearances. At the same time, if I confessed to adultery no one will say," it's okay. Your husband doesn't know about it" or "It's okay. You're not pregnant by the other guy yet." 
The conviction came that what God calls sin has to be sin regardless of the contradictions in appearance. Perhaps that's why the church has been less potent. We are so obsessed with how good we look, we disregard the sin in our midst.

In this case, the sin is gluttony. While God calls it wrong, we deem it a minor issue.  Instead, we choose and are quick to make swift judgments of others based on size. Not sin. Size. There is a difference. We neglect the fact that weight is not always a true reflection of the heart. A gluttonous heart overindulges in many things. Not just food.  All gluttony is greed based. It appears to be one of the silent sins in the church. We either go out of our way to avoid it, and say nothing about it, or we focus on "obvious offenders." There is nothing wrong with encouraging the discipline and health of another human being. That's the loving thing to do. But targeting those who simply "look the part" isn't a fair measure either, nor does it do enough to get to the root of the problem. We must call out gluttony where we find it. 
Yes, there are those who are obese, because their actions dictate that.  Still, there are larger people who eat significantly less than I do, and are further down the road of self control than I am. Their discipline and restraint puts mine to shame.  The difference between us is metabolism. The fact that I enjoy sweaty workouts doesn't hurt either. I hate that their judgment is harsher than mine based on ignorance.

That said, the amount of eye rolls I'd get for mentioning any struggle with food among most people (especially those larger) is ridiculous. It's like my size negates my sin. 
I've been doing it though. In a group of overweight believers I confess it regardless.  Sin is sin. And I'd like to see things like this change in the church. Stop judging by the eye. If we must apply judgment then let it be by the Word according to the Spirit. 
Greed and gluttony is not solely a matter of weight. It is a matter of sin. And every believer must agree with. Our standard of judgment should be above the world's standard, otherwise why "believe" at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!